How much do you know about grout? You probably know that it holds tiles together. You may even know it’s porous. If you have grout in your home, you most definitely know it gets dirty, but how much do you actually know about grout? At Grout Shield, we know all about grout (since we create and sell grout cleaning and grout sealing products), so we wanted to share some grout info with you.
- If you are using grout in a high-traffic area, use epoxy grout. Epoxy grout is durable and the most resistant to stains and water damage. Epoxy works great in kitchens and bathrooms.
- If used outside, epoxy grout can easily fade.
- If you want to use epoxy grout, hire a professional to grout and tile the floor or backsplash. Epoxy grout sets fast, so you have little room for error or time to adjust the time or grout.
- Epoxy grout is the most expensive grout.
- Epoxy grout doesn’t need a sealer, but sealing all grout is a good idea.
- Sanded grout is a cement-based grout with sand in it.
- Sanded grout is more resistant to cracking and shrinking
- Sanded grout is good in wet areas, because it is not as slippery.
- Sanded grout is good for grout lines wider than 1/8 of an inch.
- Sanded grout sets slower than epoxy grout.
- Non-sanded grout is good for grout lines smaller than 1/8 of an inch.
- Non-sanded grout is sticky, which makes it good to use on walls.
- You should seal your grout if it is cement-based.
- Dark grout hides stains.
- Dark grout fades easier.
- Dark grout can stain light tiles.
At Grout Shield, we offer any color you can think of to re-color and seal your grout. Click our grout color page to see all your grout color options.
Since grout is porous, it is prone to getting dirty. You’ll want to seal it to protect it from absorbing dirty and liquids. At Grout Shield, we have our clear grout sealer and our color grout sealer that will help protect your grout year-round.
Keep your grout from getting dirty with Grout Shield’s grout sealers and grout cleaners. For more information on Grout Shield products, click our grout products page, or call toll free at 1-800-631-0716.